"The days of royalty-free elevator music are over." This is what the Minister for Culture, Nathalie Roy, announced on June 20 when she invited the media to a special press conference regarding on-hold music.

Wishing to give a hand to Quebec's music industry, the minister announced that the on-hold music broadcast by the different levels of Quebec's government will now have to be 100% Quebecois. This new measure would apply to all government departments and bodies such as the Société des Alcools du Québec and Loto-Québec.

According to the  information provided, there would also be some specific aspects concerning the language. For example, 90% of the music used should have lyrics in French. The remaining 10% would be in indigenous languages or in English.

Through these measures, the government wishes to ensure that Quebecois music reaches a greater audience and therefore allow artisans to benefit more from the royalties.

How to meet these specifications

Fortunately, if this news impacts your operations, a number of solutions are open to you. There are companies such as Newmood that provide businesses with music and offer a turnkey service that fulfils this new requirement.

1. First, a project manager will check the compatibility with your IP phone system.
2. Then, a music programmer will create a personalised playlist that matches your musical preferences and that is 100% Quebecois.
3. The supplier will handle payment of the various fees to regulatory bodies such as SOCAN and Re:Sound on your behalf.

To listen to French-language musical playlists, visit our listening room by clicking here. Or for more information, email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.